Thursday, March 29, 2018

Feeding your inspiration

Kokkola allows one to get completely immersed in their work because it is just so peaceful and comforting here! I have found it really easy to get lost in my drawing, painting, and writing. There were some moments where I actually had to force myself to take a break. Those times have been really precious for me as it allowed me to get out of my bubble, meet some people who live here and to participate in some local activities.

One day I found myself in front of Martta so I walked in and asked them what courses they have to offer. I enrolled myself in a cooking course with five other lovely ladies. We made numerous delicious dishes together using local fish and produce. Making a five course meal was easier than I expected :).




Meri Linna, Nordic Art School's Director, was very kind to have invited me to join Katri Aalto's three day Hatha yoga workshop. With this workshop I could recharge from the week and make space for more goodness to be let in. Balance was gratefully restored.


As one thing led to another, when I told Lauri Skantsi that I would like to meet some teachers to make Dear You with, he put me in touch with Auli Palosaari.  She is a classroom and art teacher at Mäntykankaan Ala-aste.  We hit it off immediately and hope to create an exchange together in the future!  Auli also has a love for handmade paper as it is a great form to recycle and reuse materials in a practical way.  Here she is teaching me how to make paper.


It wouldn't be a complete trip without avanto aka ice swimming. As coincidence has it, Auli's son and his girlfriend were going to the local ice hole at Palma. It was an extra special Saturday night as it Earth Hour. The nice people of Avantouintiseura Kuutit lined the snow covered path with candles and made a really beautiful environment for you to withstand the freezing cold wind on your naked body. Crazy, but so good. So good.


I didn't get a chance to see Revontuli on this trip, but I should save something for when I return! My projects are well underway thanks to the creative setting and group in Kokkola.


No comments:

Post a Comment